Tuesday 10 February 2015

OUGD406 - Studio Brief 01 - Professional Practice - Secret 7

I have been given the information for the live studio brief 01:

In this brief I am to create a piece of art work in response to a chosen song from a pre selection. The work i produce will be transformed into a 7" record sleeve and then entered along into a charity competition along with 1000's of other 7" record sleeves created from other designers and artists. 

Below are the pre selected songs I have to choose from:


The Chemical Brothers - Let Forever Be
The Supremes - Reflections
The Maccabees - Go
Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer
The Rolling Stones - Dead Flowers
St. Vincent - Digital Witness
Underworld - Born Slippy

I will take the time to view and listen to all of the songs and then choose the one that I feel i can
respond to best. I will need to be able to connect to the visuals, type, and sounds of the song
I choose before i can begin creating designs in response to it.
I will start by carrying out some research on a few different celebrated music artwork
designers so I can get a little inspiration and ideas before I begin my own.
Peter Saville
A graphic designer who has mad a career from designing record sleeves for many different
factory record artists.
Album artwork by Peter Saville
Album artwork by Peter Saville
Album artwork by Peter Saville
After looking through the artists work i realized that he has created a vast amount of different
styles and genres, and has uses a lot of really interesting photography in his work.
http://www.dezeen.com/2013/09/20/design-by-peter-saville/
Jamie Reid 'Jamie Reid's unique vision articulates and gives form to some of the key issues of our times.
He responds to the ever-increasing attacks on our civil liberties and shared common spaces
with passionate anger and savage humor, and shows us ways in which we might re-organise
our political and spiritual resources. This is the role of the shaman and Reid's art acts like a
lightning rod, returning us to the earth so that we might share the work of healing'.
Jamie-1.jpg

Jamie-2.jpg

Jamie-3.jpg

Jamie-4.jpg

NPDec1.jpg
NPDec2.jpg
www.jamiereid.org/about/

Annie Leibovitz:

Annie Leibovitz, considered one of America's best portrait photographers, developed her trademark use of bold colors and poses while at Rolling Stone.
http://www.listal.com/list/work-annie-leibovitz

Storm Thorgerson
'Storm Thorgerson, was the sleeve designer behind weird and wonderful images for
Pink Floyd, Ian Dury and the Mars Volta'.
Storm Thorgerson: 10CC- Are You Normal
Storm Thorgerson: Alan Parsons- Try Anything Once
Storm Thorgerson: Black Sabbath
Storm Thorgerson: Pink Floyd
http://www.theguardian.com/music/gallery/2009/may/20/storm-thorgerson-album-artwork
I really enjoy this designers work, I think it's very creative. I especially like the last piece I
shared, with the triangle breaking the light, anything to do with sharp looking work, triangles,
glass, reflective designs and light i just find it personally responds to myself in some way.

Now that I have carried out some research and seen how the artists above have taken a
piece of information or someone else's idea and created an image or piece of design in their
own vision. 



After listening to all of the pre selected songs i decided to choose 'The Maccabees - Go'. When
listening to the song i got a sense of a free sounding style, maybe a little emptiness to the song which could be related to simplicity.., at times the song would seem very sharp and then sometimes very soft and dreamy.
Personally I think the song is quite holistic.

I felt i could definitely create the design work in response to this song.


So instantly after listening i pictured simple/bold colors, along with patterns. Also the idea 
of certain objects having a deeper meaning, or an image of something that communicated a message.
I carried out some more research on patterns, imaginative and bold design, so I could begin playing around
with different ideas.

Geometric patterns vector animals
Geometric patterns paintings

Geometric patterns

 Landshape

 Matt Booth

 bird

 wine bottles

 Patternbooth

I love all of these images above, I find it really interesting how simple shapes can be repeated and applied 
towards something much more complicated and interesting. I really love the bold color use in some of the 
pieces of art above. Even images that use a vast amount of different hues and shades, just seems to work towards the bigger image 'thing' that the shapes are creating. 
http://www.creativebloq.com/graphic-design/geometric-patterns-11135236

http://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/a-beginners-guide-to-digital-textile-printing--vector-3189

http://www.nopattern.com/

So, taking forward what ideas I had gotten from my chosen song and the inspiration I got from my research, I began taking photos of objects that related to what I wanted to design.

I began to think of an object I could use that would relate to the ideas of 'deeper meanings', 'bold color use' and patterns. I came up with the idea of using old CD and DVD discs and manipulating them. Discs have the ability to 'bend light', so reflecting the colors of the spectrum that altogether make white light, 'Bold colors'. The discs also relate to the fact that the work I am designing is connected to music and at the same time, these discs a breakable and the material they are made from allows me to manipulate them.

So I took several photos that i could then use in a range of ideas.


























I then manipulated the images in Photoshop, until i had different designs, such as patterns with different colours, and single new images, I took the idea of pattern and repetition and simple but strong color use into my designs.

Below are my final designs. 





















By using broken sections of a CD, I tried to make an image of a tree with a plain green background, I did this so the cover would relate to the peaceful, dreamy sounds that I got when listening to my chosen song.




For this cover i used the same image but just experimented with a different background color to relate to the broken light on the damaged CD image. I also used a white outline as a border to bring some order to the cover.



















When experimenting with the idea of patterns, I used my broken CD images to make a pattern effect and transformed the new images into the shape of a triangle. I decided on the shape of a triangle because personally the shape reminds me of 'perfection', and since the song had quite a holistic feel to it, I thought a triangle fitted this best. A cool blue background to keep the focus on the triangle image.



















This design is one of favorites, I manipulated the tree image I had created even further, then experimenting with the patterns I had made and put them into a square shape, just to see what it would look like and it seemed to work, so i kept the square theme going for the rest of the image. Using a blue background for the same purpose as last time.



















This is my favorite design, deciding on using a triangle as the shape my patterns fit into to keep the idea of perfection being the word to describe the holistic feel of my chosen song, then repeating the image and changing it's direction and placing both triangular image against each other to represent one whole image. Because i wanted to create a message of 'no direction', I personally think that massage relates to the overall sound and feel of the song. I also used a cool pink background to match the color of the main image more. Then using white outlines to bring order. 

I then prepared my favorite design (above) and uploaded it to the secret 7 website.






























No comments:

Post a Comment