Friday 13 March 2015

OUGD406 - Studio Brief 02 - Two Colour Screen Printing

After completing the digital version of my book cover I could then start working on turning my design into a two colour screen print.



Taking the main design in for screen printing, I first had to prepare the image for screen printing. Doing this by getting rid of any overlapping pieces of work and then separating the image into two layers. This is so that when it comes to screen printing, the two colours that I choose to use will not overlap causing the creation of a third colour.
Then keeping the image black and white for the purposes of preparation before screen printing.


When taking a look at my digital copy I decided that it would not be a good idea to keep the faded pattern design in the background of my design, since it is technically not black or white, it wouldn't work when it came preparing the image for screen printing. So I decided to just get rid of that to benefit my work. 


Since I already created my work in black and white, I had to convert the image to colour by using the CMYK curves tool in Photoshop. I decided to go with red and blue. Red for the large filled in block sections on the design to represent importance and blue for my pattern designs to enhance a soft, cool, calm and to enhance the expressiveness of my design. 


Since I was working within a group during the screen printing process, in the time I was waiting I managed to get a few images of other people working, to capture some of the process in screen printing. 











Below is my final two colour screen print:



I really like how the colour has made my work look more attractive. and interesting. i am mostly happy with how the screen print turned out, however I noticed that some of the colour on my work had overlapped without, sadly bringing out a third colour, this is probably because my work is very detailed, which made it harder for me to choose and separate the layers for for screen printing. Also I did have a little trouble with the ink, during the process which resulted in faintly patchy text work.
Apart from that I am happy with how the work looks, and the fact that my screen print is not 'perfect', reminds me that i haven't digitally printed this piece, it will remind me that i actually put effort into the printing stage of my work, which i actually love. 



But for the purposes of the brief, I have planned to go back and screen print my work a second time to get a better final piece. 



I really enjoyed screen printing my design, it took me a while to get comfortable enough to fully grasp the process, but afterwards I really enjoyed it, and it was good practice for any future designs I decide to apply the same process to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment