Thursday 30 April 2015

OUGD406 - Studio Brief 04 - Reflective Practice - Speaking From Experience

I have been given the brief to produce a graphic response/piece that makes a statement, comment, observation or gives advice about my first year on the course.

I want to create something which involves myself trying out a something new.

For a while I have wanted to try T-shirt printing, where I can create my own designs and have them displayed on the front of white or black coloured top's.
I see this brief as being the perfect opportunity to try it out and see how well I can work with the method.

The kind of designs I am thinking of are either to use imagery from my home town before I moved to Leeds. Or to use imagery (Primary/Secondary) from around Leeds, or maybe I can use both places. I will then take these images, take out only the sections that I find interesting then manipulate and alter the sections of image to create something new. then use these images to try out and practice t-shirt printing method. 

I feel that this idea reflects my own past and present on a personal level, the things that I have seen and that I come into contact with on a daily basis, something that has become part of my life. It definitely reflects the purpose of this brief in my own image.
I plan to re use the images that I have taken in the past as well as secondary image sources.

First I will carry out some research into other image combining work:

Natuur by Jelle Martens

Puur by Jelle Martens

Vision by Jules Bassoleil

Untitled by Kieron Cropper

http://blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/articles/inspiring-artwork-combining-geometry-photography



Above are perfect examples of what I will try to achieve with my own designs, something modernistic that people will want to see. By combining different sections of images i'm hoping to achieve something quite abstract.

So by using this inspiration I took my images and began to alter them in a way that would allow me to express a deeper meaning and allow me to connect with the minds and opinions of other people, meaning someone could look at the image I create and then somehow be able to relate to it. With each image I will include a quote that which in someway will link to myself.

The idea/word that will be the base for all my design is
'Change'. 


Below are my final designs with some explanation:



I created this image by combining two similar wide landscape images of the sky which showed enhanced sun rays, The sections of image were part of a larger image which I took from home a day before moving to Leeds.
In this image I tried to express strong movement and modernistic design by using triangles as an over pattern shape, I feel my design then relates to the text by being such a strong eye catching image. I altered the colour until I received something suitable. The point of my text is to relate to the thought of what is more influential (an initial change, or the things we see during the change).


This is probably my favorite design out of all 4, I merged an image from Leeds and an image from home which then gave me something quite historic looking, so to work with that I took away all of the colour from the image ti add to the oldish looking landscape. I then used over line pattern to contrast with the harsh blank pieces on certain parts in the design and also because it came across quite modernistic, it also contrasts with the bright light in the corner. I kept the altered colour of the sky to keep some personality to the design. My text links to the use of two separate images in a way that says I am here now whilst I keep missing where I was.


This was my first design and also a little bit of a practice to get familiar with combining different elements and images to create something new. Meaning to me this design comes across a little more simple than the others but I still like it either way as the images, colour and patterning I used appeals to me. I formed the shapes to look like an eye or window in someway above the images which then relates to my text on this design.




This design I tried to make as bold as possible by using backing image from home as a landscape and then prioritizing a section of Leeds city center by altering it into a pattern in the from of a broken circle, I kept harshly black and white to enhance the red in the background, to make the design more eye catching. The pattern design in the center is to act as small snapshots/windows to see something else. I then used the text to relate to the my design since the design it'self relates to a change in scenery.

I am really with how my designs have turned out, I feel they respond to my idea of change and to the point of the brief.
Unfortunately I will not be able to have the designs physically printed onto T-shits in time for my deadline. So for the purpose of the brief I will keep my designs as inspirational posters and have these images printed onto the fabric at a later date.







No comments:

Post a Comment