Tuesday 29 November 2016

New! - OUGD503 - Substantial Project Ideas


For this project I will be researching, selecting and working on my own briefs from various competition websites that connect with people and designers across the nation. 

I will be required to select one large substantial brief along with a small selection of less substantial briefs which I will be working on over my own managed time. This project will help me to become a more self sufficient and independent designer that has the skills to take on my own choice of projects without the full guidance from my lectures, but will be there to help me with my chosen projects if I should need it. 

To start off this brief I will start off my choosing a substantial project of my choice, there are a number of different websites that I have been guided to from my lecturer that would be appropriate to use for this project. I have first began searching through the website D&AD.co.uk


I have come across quite a few interesting projects, however there is one in particular that interested me the most.
Adobe have released a project which asks designers to create a set of 3 posters or designs which visually communicate an important personal self taught message which can be used to inspire others. 



I have recently been thinking about the subject that my posters will be on. I would like to design something that is personal to me as well as inspiring other people. 

I wanted to list a few subjects that I would be comfortable applying to this project. 
One of which is dealing with depression and anxiety. Since this kind of mental illness is something that I have suffered with for many years myself, I feel that it is also a very apparent illness that is growing in the modern age. More and more people are being diagnosed with depression and anxiety, and it is a very touchy subject that many people including myself do not like to talk about and discuss. It is much easier for the sufferer to keep and deal withy the problems alone rather than seek any help, even if that is what is best. 

I have managed to pick up a book which takes the form of depression and anxiety and transforms the form into art. Visuals of what depression in the image of a person looks like. Still shots and positions, actions which sufferers of this mental illness are very common to act out themselves. I feel that this boom will be very useful in understanding the type of images that are used to express the form of depression and anxiety.

' The Aesthetics of disengagement by Christine Ross' 



The book which I managed to pick up does contain a lot of images which closely match the form of depression and being disconnected from society in some way or form . However these images a very abstract and maybe pull away slightly from the subject that I want to concentrate on. I feel that I need to find something which portrays images in which I can also understand myself before using it as a tool to inspire or help others. 

I will upload some of the photos from this book shortly 

No comments:

Post a Comment