Saturday 29 April 2017

OUGD505 - SB01 - Leeds Festival/event choices


I have become interested in 5 different events/festivals that occur within Leeds every year which is very popular with the public and designers. 

I have decided to have a bit of a range in the types of events which I ma going to research, this is mostly to keep my mind open and to understand more about the different types of popular interest in Leeds and also what these events have to offer people and visitors from outside of Leeds. I feel that this will help me to understand the culture of Leeds a lot better. 

The first festival that l will be researching is in which I have visited myself yearly since I moved to Leeds.

Leeds Christkindelmarket!




"to bring a little piece of Germany to Leeds"

Is the statement presented as soon as you open the website for the german market. 
The event lasts a whole week close to Christmas and has many different markets displaying and selling things like German handmade toys, sweets, chocolates, meats, a huge range of different food including displays of german music. 
The entire area also features amazing and magical colors with warm lights. It is extremely difficult not to feel welcome with a sense of joy as soon as you enter the christkindal market. 



Leeds Light Night!



During two nights in early October, the entirety of Leeds center is lit up with beautiful colors and light. 
The city is separated into different zones and anyone for free can follow different trails through different zones, enjoying spectacular displays of light shows and even displays of work alongside interesting music. 

lights are projected onto many different buildings across the city.
Leeds light night is designed to be a celebration of color and art and is aimed at all people and has been designed to host different activities for groups and separate people including families. 


Leeds Print Festival!



The Leeds print festival was made to celebrate contemporary print process through type and image. the festival lasts for a whole day at various different venues to show off a collection of work, talks, and displays.

I recently visited this year's print festival, which was my first time experiencing the festival. I thoroughly enjoyed the displays of work which all were very beautiful, I then went to the talks which were very interesting.

I'm not sure the print festival would be the festival I will choose to create designs for, however, I like having it in my collection. 


IndieFood Festival

The Indie food festival is definitely on of the festivals I am most interested in. 


This festival is probably one of the biggest festivals to take place in Leeds simply because there is so much going on, Looking through the website, a lot of the events have already sold out which shows how popular it is. 

The reason I find this festival so interesting is because it is a mix of very social events, huge ranges of food and drink and the themes which go with each event are absolutely spectacular. I can't imagine any person attending any of these events during the festival to lose interest for one minute, simply because there is so much to do, drink and eat.

I think I would greatly enjoy creating a traditional print in response to this festival, as I feel there would be a lot to explore in terms of imagery. 


Thought Bubble



"The Thought Bubble Festival is the UK’s largest event of its kind – an annual celebration of sequential art in all its forms, including everything from superhero comics to independent and small-press artists and writers.

Thought Bubble formed in 2007 as a non-profit-making organization dedicated to promoting comics, graphic novels, and animation as an important national and international cultural art-form. Now in its 10th year, the festival has been extended over a full week with a jam-packed program of events at a variety of venues across the city. Our aim is to cater to both long-time comic book fans and those who have never picked up a graphic novel before"



I really like all of these festivals, there are a couple however which top my favourites list, that I would enjoy creating design for.











No comments:

Post a Comment