Tuesday 17 November 2015

OUGD503 - Penguin Random House Design Award - Research


Before I carry out my design for Clockwork Orange, I will carry out some more research into the movie and build up a collection of key words to help me make a mental image of what the cover will look like. 
I already know that the movie is a slapstick Horror so that already gives me the idea of working in black, white and possibly different shades of grey.

Then I want to carry out some research on various different book covers that could be similar to my own design, this will give me a broader range when it comes to finalising my layout.

First I watched the trailer for Clockwork Orange, during the trailer I wrote down as many keywords I could think of.




Dark
Old Fashioned
Psychological
Dark empty sounds
Dark music
Slapstick comedy
Dark Humour
Narrative
Sadism
Very odd 

I will use these key words and take them into account when designing the cover, the poster for the movie s very useful as it gives me a starting point to work from, as in I have an idea of what the original design looks like. 

I can now carry out some research on various publication and book cover designs that respond to my keywords and the original movie advertisement design. 














I liked all of these designs because I thought the images of each front cover have some sort of connection to some of the my keywords. The overall design of each is very effective at making a sort of odd, misplaced dark feeling. That there is a lot more to do with this book behind the image. 

I want to use these images to help me design he cover for Clockwork Orange, The images have definitely given me some inspiration into what I can possibly do to respond to this brief.


http://theinspirationblog.net/showcases/40-stunning-black-and-white-book-cover-designs/



No comments:

Post a Comment