Thursday 5 November 2015

OUGD504 - Studio Brief 03 - Modern Book Layout Designs Research


I decided that I wanted to look at some modern styles of layout design that are being used in publications. 

There are so many different designers now that create very effective and pleasing publications that I personally feel it is becoming hard for me to stay with the trend of design  as well as expressing my own image and ideas.

Below are a few layout designs that I think are very clever along with why I like them.





This is probably my favourite out of all the designs i've seen so far because it's just proving that a design doesn't physically have to be compressed onto one page. I love design that breaks the physical boundaries of what is expected and this does exactly that, it really is aesthetically pleasing and generally nice to look at. It's clear and precise which I love. This is definitely something I want to create for my own design.






I like this because the design for this book because the front cover design, has not been restricted to the front cover. I think this is another great example of a designer breaking the boundaries and going against the expected. Then it turns out to be a very successful design which to me is very pleasing and claiming to look at. The black and white works so well for this design because it enhances the title of the book.


These two above are exactly what I want for my own book, I want my own simplicity to be as just effective if not more than these examples.






I like this layout cause of it's colour or minimal use of it the shading is what brings out the image and creates an interesting yet timeless looking image. I also like how the image just sort of spreads through the page making the layout look so much bigger than it actually is.





Even though i ma not too keen on the colour use in this layout I do like the paper folding technique, it gives more depth and substance to the page and I think it gives the layout more than just the flat surface image you would normally see on a random page.






I really like the layout of these pages, the font is modern and simplistic which I love, the grid system used for the text is very effective in creating a clean centre piece design. On the right hand side the image has been stretched to the full give of the page as if only to give a snapshot or 'section' of what the photographer saw when they took the photo. I personally think this idea definitely makes the layout much more interesting. 






This simplistic design really caught my eye, it's ascetically pleasing setting the bar for what modernist designs hope to achieve.





I love more illustrative designs just as much as the simplistic designs I want to achieve in my own work. A lot of my own work in the past I have given an illustrative twist and I will continue to do this with my work in the future.
I like this design though because it mixes illustration with modern idea of design, to me it's the perfect layout for any book.






I like how the negative space has been used in the layout of these pages, it gives the image  so much more aesthetic an attention, simply because of the colour usage and grid system used. 





This is another example of breaking the boundaries of the page which I love, I really like the autumnal tones in this image as well and how it mixes in with the simplistic text and layout.







I like this because of the clever use of black and white.




These are all very beautiful layout designs, I really want to achieve something similar to my research with my own publication.







http://jayce-o.blogspot.com/2013/06/modern-examples-layouts-book-design.html

http://inspirationhut.net/inspiration/60-beautifully-modern-and-inspirational-magazine-book-layouts/

No comments:

Post a Comment