Tuesday 1 May 2018

OUGD505 - Research - Transforming the sound of New Age Music to visual images


After some extensive research into NAM, I realised that I needed to know how exacxtly I would create visual images based from the sound of NAM. 

I figured from my research that these visuals would need to be created by the emotions/feelings that the sounds they produce. 

So to take an example, the first feeling I get when I listen to NAM is happiness, and I would imagine happiness to look like circles, lots of them, some bursting some not, some with color and some just outlines of circles, maybe the circles would be moving around also, bumping into each other.

Another feeling is calmness and I imagine calmess to look like soft flowing lines, some of the lines may bend slightly or curve off into very loose spirals, some lines may the thicker than other, but all of these different lines would be moving in the same direction.

after listening to many different songs from within the New Age Genre, I decided to base my reponsive designs on one song. 

Only Time - By Enya


This song is my favourite because of how it makes me feel. It makes me feel happy and calm, especially in times of stress or when im a little flustered, this song seems to have the ability to reverse those negative feelings on a much stronger scale comapred to a different song within the same genre.

Enya herself has made many albums which are filled with songs that produce the same effects, I have taken some time to listen to most of her work from the earliest to the latest.



Below I have posyted files of more research and development.
As you can see I have collected images and shapes which are relevent to the only time by enya. 





As you can see after researching some relevent shapes I then moved onto finding these shapes which have been printed onto t-shirs (which is the medium I will be using for this proejct) In the photos above you can see that I have created some of my own T-shirt designs and used the researched images to create designs which express the style of Enya's music.

I plan to continue working on these designs and I will contimue to refer back to my reserach images for reference.








No comments:

Post a Comment