Monday 5 January 2015

OUGD405 - Brief 01 - Design Process - Photo Frame backgrounds

I have been given the first brief for OUGD405, In this brief I am to use the idea of shapes and geometric patterns to create images or structures to create my own background image for a photo frame. I will create 3 different sized frames, each with a completely different design, (A3  A4  A5).
I will use illustrator for any vector based design work and photoshop for any image based work, however the final piece for each frame will be produced in photoshop.

I have begun this brief by carrying out some research on different photo frame back grounds, from different designs to different companies.

John Lewis: http://www.johnlewis.com/home-garden/photo-frames/c600002204 









I like the simplicity of the few frames above, not much design has been used but it gives a clean, simple and fresh feel for the consumer.


Dunelm: http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/decor/photo-frames/all-photo-frames/ 











The photo frames above look a little more interesting, more color has been used, and more complex shapes and designs. Which gives the frames a more inspired look. 



Debenhams: http://www.debenhams.com/home/home-accessories/photo-frames








These frames above show a more imaginative look, with the use of images like stars and flowers, or corner images which gives it a more subtle look.


After carrying out my research i had a much better idea of what i wanted to work with and create.
I came up with the idea of using my own photography work. I saw this brief as the perfect chance to use what i had captured. The images i wanted to use were landscape scenery of a few selected areas.

I wanted to then create different patterns using the idea of shapes of various sizes and types, The patterns i wanted to create would relate to the image i would be applying them to.

I began experimenting with different shapes and using them to create several different patterns. I wanted to to use the three basic shapes in my work 'square, circle and triangle', this is so when i apply my patterns to my images, it look less busy and more appealing to the eye. 
below are my final sketched patterns.






The Patterns i sketched out above respond to the photos i have chosen to use.


Here are my final photo frame designs:












My Images in my own view are quite thought provoking and still. Whilst i have enhanced the color effects on each image to give them a little more personality, and i guess so they seem more appealing to the buyer, as it is easy for me to appreciate my own photography, but to get the attention of someone who looks at it from a glance i had to enhance my work by changing the effects. 
You can see how i have created my sketches digitally in the way so that they respond to the images i have applied them to.

I really like how my photo frames have worked out, i think the research i had carried out definitely put me in a better position to start creating my ideas, however if i were to go back and alter my work or do something differently i would probably pay more attention to the detail in my 8/6" frame, the pattern i had created i think could have been worked on a little more to improve it.













No comments:

Post a Comment