Tuesday 1 March 2016

OUGD503 - Responsive - Secret 7 - Brief and Ideas


For my next project, I will be designing an album cover for the secret 7 competition brief. I will choose a song from 7 pre selected tracks, each song a different genre and artist. I participated in the 2015 secret 7 competition brief which I really enjoyed, so I am excited to create something new and better for this years selection.

The tracks to choose from are:

CHVRCHES - Clearest Blue
Eta James - At Last
Jack Garrett - Worry
The Jam - Art School
John Lennon - Imagine
Max Ritcher - Dream 3
Tame Impala - The Less I Know The Better

After listening to each track my favourite was Clearest Blue by CHVRCHES. I really liked the style and sound of the song.

I found out that the song had a music video on youtube, So to get a better idea of what the song was about I spent a few minutes to take a look. The music video was very dark themed. The video presented the singer dressing in armour walking through dark woodland during the night, until the song gradually came to the synth pop sound explosion at the end which saw her dancing in a club with alcohol.
I did have some trouble understanding the video but I really like both the song and the video so I am excited to start working on some designs for the album cover.

CHVRCHES - Clearest Blue


I decided to re watch the video and write down words that I think best describe the video and the sound of the song. Then at the end I will be able to use these key words to help me design something perfect for the cover.

The key words I wrote down from the song an video are

Dark
Pop
Sounds
Light
Confusing
Nature
Silver
Armour
Black
Blue
Steel
Soft
Dance
Beat
Catchy
Fun
Shocking

These words describe how I felt when listening to the song and watching the video, so I will use them to help me with my design.

After collecting some keywords, I really want to create something using the colours silver and blue, so to match the name of the song and the lyrics in the song, also the video displayed a lot of silver so I really want to use that along with the blue.

There are a lot of synthetic pop/dance sounds in the song which give me the feeling of 'imperfection' possibly things and objects that are not perfect. The lyrics in the song are quite interesting and have a dark tone to them so I could possibly use an image that is quite organic or somehow connects to nature, (trees, Branches, dead foliage). I think they would be quite effective elements. 
On the cover design would like to use an image or image of an object that holds the main attention and explanation of the song. I want to use something that relates to the dance and pop feelings that are created by the song. 

I first plan to go out into the woodland that is close by where I live and take a few photos that I could possibly use for my design.

No comments:

Post a Comment