Wednesday 6 January 2016

OUGD504 - Studio Brief 03 - Development


After carrying out extensive research I felt ready to begin my own publication. 

'Type In Context
Broken & Deconstructed' 

I first started by choosing the best images from the collection, ones which have more of a story and would pick up interest, Images that were not so effective would not be in the publication.

I then began adding the images to the digital book pages, after taking in the research I had a good idea of how to display the images in the book.
To create something modern yet distorted, I would need to deconstruct the images and alter them. Similar to some of the designs I looked during research I experimented breaking the images up into sections and working with mostly black and white. 
The image would then take up most of the page to break the boundaries and make the most impact to the reader.

Then moving onto the text working in the most effective font 'Armata' I used a simple grid method to structure the text and names of the images.

Below is a double page spread sample, this is what the finished pages should look like:





Then I began by designing the cover of the book, I wanted to create something that matched the style of my images. The images that I collected were all very different and personal to who ever had designed the contents. Some of the images were urban, some were simplistic, some were regal and a couple were not that common.

For this project I wanted to again concentrate on a theme of black and white, Which would be most effective for the project taking into consideration the style of the images and the binding choice. 
I first experimented by using one of the images as the book cover background but found that this gave an over complicated look when applying text over the top. I then decided to go for a pure black background and began altering the text 'Type in Context' instead. The text would be in white to contrast with the black background. The text would be in the font 'armata', which I would then distort and break into a sign that is much more effective.

Below is the finished cover design 




I created a spray effect in the background to match the theme of the book. Also I broke apart the title and then altered the positioning to make an abstract design, yet still readable. The book cover is in the style which matches the images and construction with in the book. 

I am happy with the style of the cover and the display of pages within the book, so I will continue to work in the same style for the rest of the pages. I feel that my chosen binding method will work well with this design.


No comments:

Post a Comment