Wednesday 19 October 2016

OUGD504 - Studio Brief 01 - Modern/simplistic book cover and Binding methods


I want to explore the latest ideas of modern book covering and binding. If i compare modern book covering to a type of covering that would be used in scrapbook making, then I would imagine the covering of a scrapbook to be very hardwearing, able to take damage and still look and feel like it would still be intact. Scrapbook covers are made to last longer compared to more modern covering designs which are much more perfected to look 'presentable' and are finer. Most of the more modern designs of books that I have looked at recently will either go for the sturdy hardback front and back cover with design over the top, or a very glossy thinner card which can sometimes be folded for extra strength or left as they are. 

If i were to go ahead and design something similar to these designs, then I would have a very good feeling that my design would be based on thick gloss card which would probably be folded for extra strength to protect the book. I first want to research why gloss would be a good choice for my book cover. 
I came across a website the explores the differences between a none classy matte finish and a gloss finish, the discussion was about what would look best on a book cover. 

Here is the website 
http://www.bnbindery.com/news-marquee/2016/2/3/matte-vs-gloss-soft-cover-lamination-which-is-right-for-your-book



The post talks a lot about how gloss is a much more attractive type of covering to use for a book, and looking from a few different images I would definitely have to agree that gloss is a much more presentable covering to use.

'Gloss laminate is visually stunning.  It produces deeper, cleaner and crisper lines and colors, and gives vibrancy to cover photos.  The glossy, reflective finish grabs attention and implies a richer product. Gloss laminate is durable in that it repels dust, dirt and fingerprints.  Even when it does come into contact with surface dirt, it is easily wiped clean. Gloss is the standard for trade paperbacks.
Some considerations to make when choosing gloss lamination: Scuffs, scratches and indents can be more visible with gloss covers - by nature of the glossy reflective finish, the imperfections catch light and draw attention. The vibrancy of color and sheen of the finish can sometimes overshadow the subtlety of an understated cover design.'


The above piece of text is taken from the website displayed above,

It talks about the pros and cons of using gloss and a covering. it is a visually stunning technique to use, however because the effect is delicate, any damage will be shown up easily which would be quite worrying as I wouldn't want the finished product to be damaged any way. 

I found a book within the college library which I thought was quite a perfect example of the kind of style I would aim for if I went down this design route.







I love the style of this book, the way the cover has been created and the glossy style of the cover just makes the colourful images on the front jump out. It really works with modern folding techniques and definitely gives the book a professional feel to it. I would definitely take the covering technique of this book with me to own possible creation.

The Binding method is also something else I will need to think about when creating my own book. This book above is perfect bound, a fairly simple sturdy way to bind books that use a lot of pages. It deftly works for this book and ads to the minimalist overall design. The stock through the  book, it thin card and the pages are matte, which makes images and text easy to see with to reflective light. 






No comments:

Post a Comment