Monday 24 October 2016

OUGD504 - Studio Brief 01 - Book Cover Style and design choice


Thinking about the style of my book cover, what my audience will look at first when they see the book. I have recently found it difficult to think of a way I can express the overall modernist theme of the book as well as expressing the images of London inside the book.

A lot of modernist designs that I have come across will usually opt for a thick card sometimes even thick gloss card for the cover which provides importance and protection to the books interior.

As for the cover design, after carrying out some research there are a lot of designs that use minimalist images and text to achieve an beautiful design with a message. I would like to apply the same design style to my book cover.

I came across a website which had a sm all collection of very modernist cover designs which perfectly matched the ideas which I had in my own mind. 

FlavorWire.com

http://flavorwire.com/292165/25-awesome-minimalist-book-covers/25







I really think these cover designs are just brilliant. They express so much information using so little effort. Some of the designs work so perfectly just by strategically placing either text or image together which then expresses the subject of the book. 

I also love the minimal colour use on each design, it allows for a very clean and easy to understand design which is essential for catching the attention of the books audience.

I also came across 'engraving' which is an option if the designer wants to use less ink and create a more 'perfect' feel and image for the book.

Below are a few more design which are created by engraving designs onto leather which interest me quite a lot.




I love the designs of this small collection, maybe not so much the ones the choice of colour for these designs but the intricate engraving is lovely, and could possibly be applied to my own book cover.

I also came across some engraving, this style shows the covers of each book which are cut into to make an image or pieces of text, these designs to me seem very modernistic. However the process looks extremely long and would probably take some practice to perfect but either way I love the designs. 






As for my final choice of cover design I feel I may try to practice my skills at engraving however I think I will opt for full ink use to display my images or text on the front cover of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment