Sunday 4 October 2015

OUGD504 - Studio Brief 01 - The Design Process - Brief/Research

During this week I will be designing and creating a folded leaflet called
'the deisgn process'.

The leaflet will show my understanding of the design process. This brief will give me the chance to explore the design of leaflets and how they are used in the modern design world. Also this will give me the chance to research and experiment with different folding styles.


Below I will carry out research on leaflets and folding.

The website Company Folder.com is perfect for the basic start ides when it comes to experimenting with folding and creating something complex and different from something very simple.
The website begins by talking about how paper is the material used over a vast amount of different designers, ideas and creation because it's the perfect material to use for everything we could imagine to create. It gives us the ability to turn our physical ideas into a final design.

For folding paper is the perfect idea builder.

the website shows a collection of basic folds and leaflets that most companies will use to get their existence out into the world.

Below are a couple..


The basic fold 

Folding Types - Basic Fold Style


The tri-fold

Folding Types - Tri-fold Example 


The map fold

Folding Types - Map Fold Style


The poster fold

Folding Types - Poster Fold Options

http://www.companyfolders.com/blog/media/2013/08/poster-fold.jpg


These basic folding techniques are already giving me final ideas for my own design.



Identity Designed - Part 13:

I love this! it's simple but interesting, just by putting the text in an unfamiliar place and seperating the text by folds really makes the piece of card much more interesting and tells you that it has more than one purpose.


draw in light - Clever folding (relevant to topic) to focus your line of sight:


This is a really good design, I love the two colour idea and how it interacts with the complicated looking fold. It really stands out from any other design I'v seen.


Sulki & Min  November 25, 2011, 7:13 am  Filed under: Graphic Design    I came across this series of posters done by Korean design duo Sulki Choi and Min Choi. They were done for an art festival and I just love how the simple fold is used to intergrate the text and give a layered effect to the posters.:


by nina gregier - Two-sided poster folded into foxy head shaped leaflet designed for LGBT polish-french mini fest organized by Fundacja Kultura dla Tolerancji:


Say What Studio, In Situ. A collection of folding leaflets revolving around European architecture. Photographs by Kim Holtermand.:


https://www.pinterest.com/pin/501518108474393901/




When I design my own leaflet after experimenting with folds, I would also like to experiment with different materials as well as paper, or using certain effects to change the surface design of my leaflet.



image_17_varnish

I love the shiny look to each page, really gives the book a glossy finished effect


image_15_lamination


OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I would like to try this, It is called a UV varnish, by changing the look of certain sections on the surface of my design I can make it much more attractive.


image_13_spot_varnish


image_11_foil


Anything like the two designs above I love, The white/silver colour and the light airy look to the designs is perfect and modernistic. It's perfect and fit's well with the ideas I have in my mind.




http://designinstruct.com/print-design/print-finishes/



As well as different folds and physical designs, the elements and imagery is just as important.

below are a collection of beautiful designs.































http://designmodo.com/25-clean-modern-brochures-examples/2/



Because of the differences in the collection such as colour, texture, shape and weight. It gives me so many ideas towards my own information outlet design.




















No comments:

Post a Comment