Monday 5 October 2015

OUGD504 - Studio Brief 01 - The Design Process - Final Development


After experimenting and choosing my final idea I can now being to create it digitally.

I have created the physical layout digitally to give me an idea where text and images can fit into place.






This is the layout of the leaflet when fully open so I decided to start with this.


Because this is an informational leaflet and in some way it's sort of a realisation and direction into the designers thought process, I want to keep it simple and to the point with little illustration and clean easy to read text. 

I have designed a few very quick, simple illustrations to go with each section of text just give it a little more personality and not so formal. 

The illustrations will work really well with the text once printed on black stock.

Below is my final design







This is the front of the design, in white and black it looks quite spacious and lightly illustrated. I'm okay with how the design came out in this style.









Then I carried the same style for the inside of the leaflet.



Below is the inverted version.





I like both inverted versions of my leaflet, probably because i've kept the design simple and light so it works both in black and white.





When I print off my design, I have in mind to use a slightly reflective stock, similar to some of the examples on my research blog. I feel it would really work with my design because I have kept it black and white and if I printed the design on reflective stock then think it would be more pleasing to the eye, and would draw in more attention. 

I like how my simple illustrations come across imperfect, because it balances out the formality of the text and folding design I chose.


..................................................




After going back and looking over my final development I decided that this was not the best response to the brief I could create, for the design above my intentions were to create something that was simple yet not boring, something that would gain attention but the design however has failed at both of those things, as I do not think it would be effective enough for a final piece.

So I decided to go back and restart with one of my other experimentations.

The leaflet design I decided to work with is first and second favourite.






I feel that because of how different this design is and how the fold create boundaries in the open leaflet it makes for a more effective design that I can work with easily.

My ideas were to use a more refined style which gave simplicity to the design yet would be interesting. When re creating the physical copy of the leaflet digitally the diamond shape of the open leaflet made me think of road signs and warning signs, which are objects that are made to draw attention.

It was not so much the idea of road signs that interested me, but more the colours that are used on warning signs such as those. The vibrant bold colours such as yellow and red gave me the inspiration to possibly use the same style on the leaflet when finished.

I decided to use a new typeface within and on the leaflet 'ThinFont Regular', when I cam across the font I tested it and immediately it produced a refined style that would be perfect to use on an informational leaflet.




Along with my favourite font 'Armata', I felt would make towards an effective design.

When developing the new leaflet I decided to incorporate the hand drawn images from the previous design so to give make the new leaflet design seem a little more easy and friendly.

Below is the finished design front and back without colour use.





No comments:

Post a Comment