Wednesday 28 October 2015

OUGD504 - Studio Brief 03 - "Type in context" - Brief / Research - Grid Methods


Using the work I carried out over my summer, capturing images of a certain geographical context. These images and explanation I created for them will now be used in my own publication. This brief will last for 4 weeks meaning I will have plenty of time to create a very effective design that will express the typographical designs that my chosen area has to offer.

My publication will filled with images relating and showing my collection of typography. As my publication will be based on photography I will take into account the target audience as well as the overall design of how you would expect a photography publication to look like, however I will not design something that follows the exact guidelines of other work, but stick to a preferred design loosely. 

This brief will give me the chance to enhance my binding and editing abilities.

For my publication I will be considering my choices of stock, printing method, binding method, experimentations, the colour and finish that works best with my design.

Firstly I will carry out some research into publications and designs that deal with photography. 

First I want to take a look at the latest designs of photography books that are out, I want to see how different covers compare, what stock is used and the colour and typography used throughout latest designs of different books.


The first book I'v found interesting is 
'photography is magic' 

























"Photography Is Magic draws together current ideas about the use of photography as an invaluable medium in the contemporary art world. Edited and with an essay by leading photography writer and curator Charlotte Cotton, this critical publication surveys the work of a diverse group of artists, many working at the borders of the "art world" and the "photography world," all of whom are engaged with experimental ideas concerning photographic practice and its place in a shifting photographic landscape being reshaped by digital techniques"

Looking through some of the pages it seems the design is quite minimal and most space is given to the images rather than the text or explanation of each image. I like the use of negative space being used to give somewhat of a boarder, the images are central to each page which makes each page in the book quite simple and beautiful. The cover of the book isn't hardback which is more cost effective for this print.


http://aperture.org/shop/photography-is-magic
http://www.artbook.com/9781597113311.html





'Photography at MoMA: 1960 to now'

I liked this book from 2015 because of it's front cover





The hardback cover is a really good example of how to use images in a clever way to seem like a really effective photography print. I love the mass use of black and white image which is complimented with orange text. Attention is instantly drawn to the caption created by a pair of hands which also set the guidelines for the books title. 

The fact that the front page image breaks the boundaries by maximising the image makes me wonder what i'm missing, this instantly draws me in. 



http://www.amazon.com/Photography-at-MoMA-1960-Now/dp/0870709690
http://www.artbook.com/9780870709692.html





'Hiroshi Sugimoto: Seascapes


I chose this book because I love it's context, the photographer focuses on landscapes of air and water all for the purpose of portraying tranquility. Something calm and separated which I love the idea of. 













Each page is dedicated to one whole image, Even though the images aren't naturally black and white, the effect really creates this feeling of peace and calmness. 
However it's the use of the whole page and the mass negative space that is uses which really makes this book attractive.
The idea of this book is to capture the history and beauty of the earth at it's most basic purist form.



http://www.artbook.com/9788862084161.html
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/8862084161/




-----------------------------------------------------




I want to take a look at prints that deal with text and image. Modern designs that effectively compliment each element well.

I found a website called 


'Redbubble.com'


This is a website for artists and designers to publicly sell their work. It's also a good website to go for some inspiration and for me a way to feel connected to other designers and new ideas and layout designs.









I like this print because of the repetition and how simple colour choice compliments the overall design nicely. I love the use of different shades of grey and then the positive message at the bottom which links to the main image of the print and enhancing the message. It's a simple yet effective technique.








Even though i'm not too fond of the font choice, I like the direction that the text has been places in, which sort' of defeats the object of the message, I love the use of dark negative space drawing all the attention to the text. 















This piece is more illustrative, and the shades of this print are softer so it comes across quite soft and eye pleasing.













-----------------------------------------------------------





Next I want to look at page layouts and how important the positioning of image and text matters to the impression print products can give.

Grid Methods
I looked through a website called serif.com


This website explains the use of grid's being the important foundation of any publication that deals with text and graphics. 

As I already have some experience in creating my own grid's to use in my own work I definitely want to re use the same technique.


"Grid structures are vital to successful document design, and especially so for documents containing a mixture of text and graphics. Whatever the subject matter, and no matter how random the layout appears, the underlying structure will generally be based on a carefully designed grid"









This is quite a basic grid design that I would probably use for one or two pages in my own design. It's simple and set's tat traditional look for text and image inside page.
















These grid layouts are more suited to designs that are a little more complex, or if more interesting page spread is needed. 
I will probably use a more complex grid layout for most of the pages in my design. 


http://www.serif.com/appresources/ppx5/tutorials/en-gb/tutorials/design_grid.htm



I want to do a little research on different types of grid's, the less traditional grid layout but other designs that have been used for many years for various designer products.



The Golden Ratio

I'm not particularly on of this layout method, when placed against certain pieces of art work and design, it is said that the golden ratio is the grid set for a more or less 'perfect image'. However personally I don't really feel the golden ratio has any place on any image or design work, as it fit's far too loosely and it seems far too difficult to create a piece of design based on the layout of the golden ratio. 

However it only seems right to mention it in my blog, as it does hold it's own important place in the work of other designers.





The Rule of Thirds


This is the layout method that I am definitely going use in my own design. This is a method used by mostly photographers to achieve an aesthetically pleasing image where every element is balanced.

As my publication will be about my own photography work it only seems right to use this method in my layout.






http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/golden-ratio-in-moden-designs/




Building some research on layout and page/cover designs has now definitely given me a better idea of what I want to achieve with my own publication.






No comments:

Post a Comment