Friday 30 October 2015

OUGD504 - Study Task 03 - Print finishes


For this study task I will be looking at various different 
print finishes 

How different print finishes can change the way a piece of print work looks, or how they can be used to enhance or achieve a certain effect or design.
When researching different finishes, I will take into account how this can put pressure on the designer, financially and how to prepare for print finishing.

Most print finishes will either be glossy or matte depending on the result needed.


Varnishes





Which give a glossy, shiny feel to each page it keeps the print consistent and also can be used to preserve the material the print is made with so it last's longer. 




Matte





Which is the same process as varnish, only the end result is much less sleek shiny, instead each page is more dense and light.




Lamination 





This is where a thin material, usually plastic is placed over the original material which offers a new overall feel and look to the print by creating a firmer surface to the material, more tactile and hard wearing, as it offers protection from wear and tear damage as well as water.




Spot UV Varnish 





This material finish is probably my favourite out of all the collection because it's the most effective, and aesthetically pleasing, and can be applied to any section on the surface of my print. The effect is made by applying the varnish to the preferred area and then harding the material using UV light. This gives a perfect firm glossy/shiny effect.

This is a good effect if only a certain part of the image is going to be turned into a glossy varnish.

Whats better is that this can be used on any colour stock including white, which I do plan on experimenting with.



Foil Stamping










This is very similar to spot UV varnish, instead a malleable metallic material is used instead. Which is very useful to achieve the a regal gold or silver affect on any section of the surface work. 




Embossing 










I really like this type of finish, i love the raised bold effect that it gives because it gives more than just a flat surface image. It turns into something you can feel and touch which is gives an edge to the design.

However I don't know if I would use this on my own print, I think I would prefer a more sleek design with less weight .



http://designinstruct.com/print-design/print-finishes/



After looking at various different varieties and finishes, I have a good idea of what I might want to use for my own print. However I can't really decide until I have finished my own design.

No comments:

Post a Comment