Wednesday 28 October 2015

OUGD504 - Studio Brief 03 - "Type in context" - Binding Methods


For this brief, I want to research different binding methods and choose the best one that matches by print. I won't be able to choose a binding method until I have chosen the stock that i want to work with. 

The thicker the stock the more reliable of binding I will need, If I choose a thinner stock then I could maybe choose something not as hard wearing and simpler to make.

I really want to try a different type of binding, something not commonly used in books and prints. This way I get to try something new and explore the effectiveness of different binding techniques. 
I found a website that explores and explains with images new styles of binding


Someoddpages.com

The first that really interests me is coptic binding




The binding method is so simplistic and neat I think it would compliment a clean design quite well.



The next that interested me was long stitch binding





I like this binding method because it gives an open spine meaning when the book or publication is open it can lay completely flat, so the pages will not bend which is useful if I wanted to use up the entire page with image or text.


Raised paper cord binding





This is an interesting technique of binding where paper is twisted into chords until a strong material is made. The chords are then placed over the spine and then the ends of each chord are splayed open and attached the the front and back cover of the book.

This gives a much more organic look which I find interesting.



Recessed cord binding 




This type of binding is ideal to create very strong firm physical designs, they are for mass page collection. Cords are placed in grooves that are made across and then down the open spine of the book, then the ends of each cord are attached to the front and back cover. 


The last not so familiar option I saw was Archive Boxing

Even though this is not actually a style of binding, I like the idea of a collection of pages that are not even attached to one another, because it gives a sense of freedom when picking my print up to look at. 





Personally I see the definition of a 'book' as a collection of knowledge or information which is collected and stored into one physical object. 

I do not see a book as only a collection of pages that have been stuck together with some choice of material. To me that is a 'style' of a book along with many others.

I would consider using archive boxing to hold my prints because I think it is an easier and probably the best way to share my work with more than one person at a time. 


------------------------------------------


Awell as more complex binding methods like the ones I found above, I would consider using something simpler such as perfect binding, because it's a seamless style of binding which I have had some practice in creating.




http://someoddpages.com/book-arts/creative-bindings/




No comments:

Post a Comment